May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

This Mother's Day was just a little different for me because, with the wedding coming up, I think about four different mothers in my life.  
First and foremost, I think about my mother. I think about all the times we have spent together, the long conversations, fights when I was a rambunctious teenager, and the tears and smiles we have shared.  I don't know if anyone could ever really know me like my mom does. I have really enjoyed the opportunity to know so many of her facets, from the caregiver and nurturer to the teacher and now friend.
Next, I think about grandmother.  I try to imagine myself in her shoes 50 years ago, managing a home and four children.  Sometimes it is hard for me just to manage my checkbook.  How did she do all of that at such a young age and manage to come out on the other side with such a witty sense of humor?
Thirdly, I think of my fiance's mother.  I think about how she shaped him from a baby, instilling morals and knowledge in him that would eventually be the very things I fell in love with.  Showing her love for him, he learned how to be compassionate and caring, and I am so thankful to her for that.
Lastly, I think about myself as a mother.  I think about how I have changed and matured over the years and wonder what I will instill in my own children someday.  I try to examine my life experiences and think of how I will relate that to the growth of another human being.  It is such a calming and mind-blowing thought at the same time.

This Mother's Day was such a beautiful day to reflect and at the same time, look forward and I am very excited for the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment